Position: Senior Reseach Scientist, Professor University "Politehnica" Bucharest.
Date of birth: June 7, 1952
Place of birth: Brasov, Romania
Marital status: Married, one daughter (born 1977)
Phone: Mobile: +40722729035
Institute of Mathematical Statistics of the Romanian Academy
Adviser: Dr. Marius Iosifescu
Ph.D in Mathematics, May 1981
Postgraduate Studies, University of Bucharest, Certificate of
in Mathematical Analysis
1971-1975 University of Bucharest, Honours Diploma (MS) in Mathematics, June 1975
Languages: English, French (DALF 1995), German, Russian (reading only), Romanian
Short term visiting positions:
2007 Visting Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Fall)
Associate Visiting Professor, University of Iowa (Fall)
1993 Visiting Scholar, Indiana University, Bloomington (Spring Semester)
1992 Associate Visiting Professor, University of Iowa (Fall Semester)
1981, 1985 Steklov Institute, Sankt Petersburg, Russia (two one-month research stages)
1981 I.H.E.S France, Visiting Scholar (two months)
1980 Moscow University (one month reseach stage)
Senior Research Scientist, Institute of Mathematics of the Romanian
2001- Professor, University "Politehnica" Bucharest
1986-1990 Research Scientist, Institute for Agricultural Machines, Bucharest
1979-1986 Research Scientist, Department of Mathematics of INCREST, Bucharest and
Associate Lecturer in Mathematics, University of Bucharest
1976-1979 Teacher in Mathematics, 18th High School, Bucharest
Areas of Research Interest:
Ergodic Theory: Pointwise ergodic theorems for contractions in L_1
entropy of dynamical
systems, Markow partitions; statistical mechanics (analytical number theory methods);
Operator Theory: Invariant subspaces, Macaev norms, Brown techniques;
Operator Algebras: Non-commutative probability theory (free random variables);
Problem solving, combinatorics.
Other Professional Activities:Secretary of the Organizing Committee of the 40th International Mathematical Olympiad, Bucharest 1999;
Participation in Scientific Meetings (with given talks):
International Conference on Operator Theory (Bucuresti and Timisoara: 1977-2000);
International Conference on Operator Algebras (Neptun 1980, Busteni 1982, Craiova 1989, Constanta 2001);
International Seminars on Functional Analysis (Czech Republic: 1980, 1981, 1983);
International Conference on Operator Ideals (Leipzig 1986, Gotha 1985);
Winter Conference on Abstract Analysis (Srni, Czech Republic, 1986);
International Symposium on Chaotic Dynamical Systems (Utrecht, 1990);
The Great Plains Operator Theory Conference (Iowa 1992, Boulder 1993).
French - Romanian Mathematical Conference, Perpignan, 2003
The Institute of Mathematics of the Czechoslovac Academy (Prague,
University of Bordeaux (1981, 1991);
Steklov Institute (1985);
Iowa University (Des Moines, 1997)
French-Romanian Seminar in Applied Mathematics, Perpignan, September 2002
Congress of Romanian Mathematicians, June 2007;
Fullerton University, Los Angeles, October 2007;
University of Maryland at Baltimore County, November 2007;
University of Illinois, November and December 2007
University of Bucharest:
Spectral Theory for Operators in Hilbert Spaces (upper-undergraduate level) 1980-1987
Ergodic Theory (graduate level), 1983-1986, 1994
Measure Theory (undergraduate level) 1982-1986, 1995-1996
Functional Analysis, 1986-1989.
University "Politehnica" Bucharest:
Calculus for Engineers, 1991-prezent
University of Iowa:
Vector Calculus for Engineers, 1992, 1997
Introductory Calculus, 1992.
Differential Equations, University of Illinois, Fall 2007
skiing, table-tennis (quite professional), guitar (tabs), history
Applications of Ergodic Theory, Editura Tehnica, Bucharest,
Introduction in Mathematical Analysis, Editura Matrix, Bucharest, first volume 1997, second volume 1999-2001 (in Romanian, with Andrei Halanay and Dan Timotin).
Mathematics (Algebra and Analysis), Textbooks for the XIth grade, with M. Becheanu, M. Baluna, B. Enescu, A. Vernescu, Curtea Veche, 2001
Romanian Mathematical Competitions (RMC), with M.Becheanu, M. Baluna, B. Enescu, D. Serbanescu, every year since 2002, Romanian Mathematical Society and Theta Foundation
Refered Mathematical Papers:
1. with H. Bercovici and Dan Timotin, Some Generalisations of Functions Defined in L(H), Studii
Cercet. Mat., 2, 1975, 131-156.
2. A Remark on Chacon's Ergodic Theorem, Rev. Roum. Math. Pures Appl., 21, 1976, 521-522.
3. A Remark on the Ergodic Theorem with Mixed Conditions, Rev. Roum. Math. Pures Appl., 22,
4. with C. Foias, An ergodic formula appearing in a biological omology problem (in Romanian),
Studii Cercet. Mat., 5, 1977, 499-506.
5. On the ergodic theorem of Ornstein and Brunel for nonpositive operators, Rev. Roum. Math.
Pures Appl., 1979, 235-239.
6. An extension of the Chacon-Ornstein ergodic theorem, Invariant Subspaces and Other Topics,
Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, 1982, 456-459.
7. On Akcoglu's Ergodic Theorem, Stud. Cercet. Mat., 5, 1985,457-459.
8. Ergodic Theorems in sigma-lattice cones, Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo, II, 14, 1987, 439-446
9. On the subaditive ergodic theorem, Stud. Cercet. Mat., 47, 1995, 405-408.
10. A perturbed ergodic theorm, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.,128,5,1377-1380, 2000.
11. On the singular values of some integral operators I. The Voltera operator, Bull. Math. Soc. Sci. Math. Roum., 43(91), 1, 2000.
12. An elemetary proof of a theorem of Bernstein, Bull. Math. Soc. Sci. Math. Roum., 43(91), 2, 145-148, 2000.
13. Snooker and Farey numbers, Preprint IMAR, 15/2000.
14. with F. Boca and A. Zaharescu, Quantitative results for the trajectories of a billiard in a rectangle
15. On the convergence of some partial sums and a contest problem, GMA 19(68), 2001.
16. Irreducible polynomials and derivatives, Elemente der Mathematik, 56(2001), 170-172.
17. MR2028172 (2004m:37065) Boca, F. P.; Gologan, R. N.; Zaharescu, A. The average length of a trajectory in a certain billiard in a flat two-torus. New York J. Math. 9 (2003), 303--330
18. MR1949149 (2004c:11021) Boca, Florin P.; Zaharescu, Alexandru; Gologan, Radu N. On the index of Farey sequences. Q. J. Math. 53 (2002), no. 4, 377--391.
Florin P.; Gologan,
Radu N.; Zaharescu,
Alexandru The statistics of the trajectory of a certain billiard in
a flat two-torus.
Comm. Math. Phys. 240 (2003),
no. 1-2, 53--73.
20. A formula for the metric entropy, Math. Reports, 2(52), 2000, 295-298.
21. MR2075397 (2005b:82074) Boca, Florin P.; Gologan, Radu N.; Zaharescu, Alexandru Sur le modèle du gaz de Lorentz périodique. (French) [On the periodic Lorentz gas model] An. Univ. Craiova Ser. Mat. Inform. 30 (2003), no. 1, 63--70.
22. with A. Gheondea: On a class of piecewise functiona, Bull. Math. Soc. Sci. Math. Roum, 44(92), 4(2001).
Other Mathematical Papers and papers in preparation:
Pointwise Ergodic Theorems (MS), University of Bucharest,
The isomorphism theorem for Bernoulli shifts, University of Bucharest, 1976.
The ergodic theory for Markov processes (PhD thesis) 1981.
Markov partitions for a class of endomorphisms which expand distances, Preprint INCREST 72,
Radius of interaction in a Z^2-lattice model, Preprint INCREST, 70, 1982.
Macaev norms and Toeplitz operators, preliminary version, Grant 3035/1997, MCT.
An elementary proof of the central limit theorem in free probability theory, in preparation.
On complex polynomials, in "Ten lectures in elementary mathematics", Romanian Mathematical
Elementary combinatorics and optimization, in preparation.
Two lemmas in real analysis that give results in geometri combinatorics (Written version of the talk given at the Congress of Romanian Mathematicians);
with F. Boca, The Lorentz gas in a honeycomb. I (On the distribution of the free path length of the Lorentz gas in a honeycomb. I), Preprint University of Illinois, 2207